Monday 30 October 2017

Pronunciation exercises for EAL students - no. 6

Today's blog contains practice sentences with word-final /t/ and /d/. In let the /e/ is shorter than in led, and in lent the /n/ is shorter than in lend. The same shortening applies to the /l/ in felt as opposed to felled. Here you go!
  1. The new rate was a shock.
  2. The new raid was a shock.
  3. The police led the criminal out of the shop.
  4. The police let the criminal out of the shop.
  5. D'you know how to spell tight?
  6. D'you know how to spell tide?
  7. Our nanny hit the baby.
  8. Our nanny hid the baby.
  9. She sent me a lovely card.
  10. She sent me a lovely cart.
  11. I know she can ride well.
  12. I know she can write well.
  13. There's a drunk outside the house.
  14. I don't like the sight of it.
  15. Toddlers quickly learn bad words.
  16. After he had felled the tree, he felt much better.
  17. When you come round the bend slow down.
  18. I'm particularly fond of the Times font.
  19. She's hard on the outside, but she's got a heart of gold.
  20. Is it Wates Grove or Wades Grove?

No comments:

Post a Comment